Monday, February 16, 2009

New Home


Ahoj! While Prague (Czech: Praha) has a gorgeous city center known as Old Town Square (Staroměstské náměstí) in the heart of Praha 1 (the city is arranged into 10 municipalities), most of the population lives in the city's periphery or in the suburbs. Unfortunately, the outskirts are not nearly as scenic but they have their own charm nonetheless. I love the social realism of the Soviet architecture and get a real kick out of seeing the clunky high-rises painted in bright pastel colors. My guess is that the Czechs hate their appearance enough to try to liven them up but not enough to tear them down. 

My dormitory, the Komenskěho Kolej, is in the Hradčany district on the east side of town. I'm a stone's throw away from Prague Castle, St. Vitus Cathedral and the Strahov Monastery. As you can see, my accommodations are modest but adequate. I'm quite glad to have a suite to myself because why I enjoy the company of my dorm mates, my lifestyle requires the tranquility that only solitude can provide.

A daily routine (at this point) consists of rising at around 8:30 to dine in the cafeteria. From there, I try to run errands and take advantage of the day before heading to class. Currently, I am only enrolled in only my Czech Intensive Language course, which lasts from 14:00 to 18:30. This would be a grueling stretch if not for how interactive the class is. The teacher constantly is drilling us and making us drill each other that spacing out is impossible. Fortunately, the time goes by much quicker than expected and it's hard to beat the satisfaction of walking out into the city and understanding more street signs and overheard conversations than when you had entered class earlier that afternoon. 


This is where I go for my classes, the Charles University Faculty of Arts building. While the campus is spread all throughout the city, the majority of my classes later in the semester will be held here. To it's left is the National Theater (Národní divadlo) which showcases some of the finest cultural events in Prague. I have yet to attend any of its performances but I will likely remedy that situation in the near future. 


As you can see, much of the architecture in Prague is sprouting naked statues and fancy adornments from every available point. You'll have to wait until my Czech Art and Architecture class begins for me to give you the finer details. Regardless, it sure is beautiful. Just like everything else - even the sidewalks. Case in point:


I almost feel guilty hawking loogies onto them. But since every Czech person and their mother smokes and tosses their butts on the ground, I feel my infractions pale in comparison. OK now that this post has progressed into banality, I feel like it is a good cutting off pointČau!

No comments:

Post a Comment